What to Expect at Your Child’s IEP Meeting
The Special Education Process
- Initial Referral - The school or family can request a referral.
- Evaluation - After you give consent, your child will be evaluated.
- IEP Meeting - After the evaluation is complete, you will meet with the team to discuss the results of the evaluation and to determine if your child is eligible for special education services.
- Consent - After the initial IEP meeting, you will be asked to give
consent for your child to receive services.
- Annual Review - Each year, you will meet with your IEP team to
discuss your child’s progress.
- Reevaluation - A reevaluation is completed every 3 years to
determine if your child continues to be eligible for services.
You may also request a reevaluation before this.
Your Role at the IEP Meeting
- Be prepared to discuss what your child does well and what they need help with.
- Offer observations about how your child learns and works at home.
- Share information about your child’s interests
- Ask questions about how you can support your child at home